Water in New York is rumored to be the best in the country and has been described as the champagne of drinking water. But is the pride that New Yorkers have for their water quality justified? Is it true? And is NYC water quality so high that there is no need to buy a water filtration system for your home?
Is New York Drinking Water the Best Tap Water in the World?
Certainly, claiming that NYC drinking water quality is the best worldwide would be a huge overstatement. But is it safe to drink NYC tap water? The short answer is yes, but not for a long period of time.
It should be mentioned that NYC water was awarded the best tasting water in the state in 2018. The New York State Tap Water Taste Test competition judged 30 contestants to establish the highest quality water supplier, and NYC came in first. And since 9.6 million people in New York City and Westchester County are connected to the same supply, they can have peace of mind that drinking tap water in NYC is much better than in other cities.
Upstate, the Croton River has been supplying part of the current water system in New York City since the 1840s, and it currently accounts for 10-12% of water consumption in the city. The Catskill/Delaware systems contribute to the remaining 90%. The amount of water going through the water systems each day is astonishing.
The only issue is that water in NYC does not go through a filtration process, as a form of treatment. Instead, the NYC tap water quality is regulated by the Filtration Avoidance Determination (FAD) program, and the water supply is treated using chlorine disinfection. And considering the majority of the water system was built between the 1840s and the 1960s, the piping is not up to par, in comparison to what it once used to be.
This creates a need for a water filtration system for the home. Since you can’t fully rely on the quality of NYC water, which comes from rusty pipes, it’s time to invest in a quality filter. Order a customized system from High Water Standard and remove the worry of water going through decades-old piping.
Can You Drink Tap Water in New York?
If you live in a new building, the New York City water supply system delivers water virtually lead-free. ”Virtually” is not the same as having no lead and even ”lead-free” pipes can contain as much as 8% lead. But the situation with New York drinking water in older buildings is more concerning. Untreated water can contain the following elements:
- Lead is a toxic metal that causes long-term harm in adults but is especially harmful to pregnant women and children. It can affect brain development in children and cause many issues for the developing fetus.
- Unfiltered, contaminated water can also contain cryptosporidium, which is very resistant to chlorine-based disinfectants. This pathogen has been observed and known to cause gastrointestinal and other infections.
- Lastly, nitrates in drinking water have been linked to various adverse health outcomes, including colorectal cancer, thyroid disease, and neural tube defects.
So, can you drink tap water in New York without exposing yourself to these health risks? All residents can take precautions to minimize their exposure. For example, more lead is released into drinking tap water in New York if it has not been used for several hours. So, you can leave the water running for several minutes in the morning. Older plumbing materials (pipes, solder, faucets, fittings, and valves) tend to be the biggest factors contributing to poor water quality.
Even though the Department of Environmental Protection undertakes certain measures, treatment does not always bring the water to a safe level. With no filtration on the municipal level, it might be best to take charge and install an NYC water filtration system without relying on the DEP.
What Types of Water Filtration Systems Can Help to Solve These Problems?
First, let’s examine the biggest complaints New Yorkers have about NYC drinking water quality:
- Rusty brown color. While rusty or discolored water will not be immediately harmful to your body, it is not the color water is supposed to be. Chances are the rusty brown color is a result of corrosion in your building’s plumbing system, which is a very common problem in New York. For the time being, you can let the water run for some time to flush the particles out.
But there are many other factors that can cause your water to be discolored. It could be nearby construction work, ground disturbance activities, repairs or replacement of broken pipes, etc. If the pressure or the water flow suddenly changes for any reason, it can cause iron and manganese particles to enter the stream.
- Strange taste or odor. New York City drinking water is often affected by chlorine disinfection, which is a mandatory requirement by the Department of Environmental Protection. The warmer it gets, the more pronounced the smell of chlorine gets. One temporary way to resolve this problem is putting your glass or any container in the fridge overnight. But it is not something you can do regularly.
Even though chlorination is by far the most common method of disinfection, it has some disadvantages. They include the formation of byproducts and ineffectiveness against certain types of microbes. New techniques, materials, and methods have shown great potential as an alternative to chlorination, which we implement in our best water filtration systems for the home.
- Cloudy water. During the time water is being transferred from the upstate reservoirs to the city, the air gets trapped in the water. This doesn’t affect the water quality or your health. However, residents shouldn’t confuse air-related cloudiness with serious contamination. In any case, having clear water is preferable since you will be able to see any changes easily.
Now, what is the best water filtration system to solve these problems? Let’s see what type of water filters and purifiers are currently on the market:
- Water filter pitcher. Even though it is not the most effective, it is the most popular filter. Typically, the reasons are the cost and portability. It uses an activated carbon filter to prevent the contaminants from flowing in the water. The water you pour into it goes through the filter where the contaminants are removed and the flows into the lower part for storage. Because of its minimal capacity, it has to be frequently refilled but may come in useful for picnics and brunch gin the garden.
- Faucet water filter. These filters are very affordable and require minimal maintenance. However, these two benefits come at the expense of efficiency. Faucet filters are installed directly on the faucet head and provide clean water straight away. If you live in an area where the water is already relatively clean, it is a great choice for the kitchen.
- Showerhead filter. As you might tell by the name, this device is installed straight on the showerhead to filter the water locally in the shower. Showerhead filters are very useful for areas and cities with so-called heavy water, containing high amounts of chlorine and fluoride. Studies show that these compounds negatively affect the health of your scalp and hair. So, having this type of filter is likely to improve both.
• Countertop water filter. If you don’t want to refill filter pitchers or jugs constantly, you might like the convenience of having a countertop filter. It is connected to the faucet and purifies water coming from the tap. The downside is that it takes up room on the countertop and thus, makes the space narrower.
- Under-sink water filter. Similar to other options, these filters provide water on demand and do not need a storage tank or a connection to a drain. The advantages are that they are normally hidden in the cupboard and can process large volumes of water quickly. The downside is that they are large and not portable.
- Full house water filter system. By deciding to invest in a full house water filter system, you get clean water coming from every tap of the home. If you want everything water-related to be healthier, such as cooking, laundry, showers, and drinking, you can confidently go for this type of filtration system.
Your home should be the safest place in the world, and it would be unfair if that safety was compromised every time you come into contact with water. We have already discussed the danger of untreated water, so you realize that the stakes are high. A water filtration system for the home is a valuable purchase beyond measure. Since it is placed on the main water line entering your house, every drop of water coming into your home will be clean. Water that is free from rust, sediment, chlorine, and other chemical contaminants makes for a great investment in a healthy future.
Besides, clean water will also keep your existing house appliances running for as long as possible. Dishwashers, water heaters, and washing machines often break because of harsh water. So, after proper water filtration, contaminants will not enter these devices. Thus, they will work efficiently for a lot longer. That makes this purchase even more cost-efficient.
What is the best whole house water filtration system? We can say with a great deal of confidence that it is full house systems from High Water Standard. With 15 years of experience, we have gained the level of expertise that allows us to provide our customers with the best service possible. If you buy anything more complicated than a pitcher, you want to deal with a company that knows their trade. Contact us for a consultation or visit our NYC office to jumpstart your way to both cleaner water and a healthier life.
The Best Water Filtration Systems Still Require Maintenance
Even if you go for the top-quality water filter, dealing with maintenance is inevitable. You have to make sure that the filter remains effective and prevents clogging from sediments, dirt, organic materials, bacteria, etc. In the worst-case scenario, the contaminants stuck on the outer shell of the cartridge will find their way back into the water, which undermines the idea of having a water filtration system for the home.
How do you know it is time to schedule an appointment with a water filtration service company?
- There is a sudden loss of pressure. This probably indicates that the filter cartridge has been clogged and it’s time to change the sediment part in a multi-stage system or the main part of a single-cartridge system.
- You notice changes in the taste, odor, or appearance of the water. This point is loosely connected to the previous one. The cartridge may have filled with contaminants, and you need to install a new one.
- You find something unusual in the way your filter works. If anything raises suspicion that the device is not operating correctly, you need to call maintenance service. It can be a strange noise, an alarm, or something similar.
With the help of a reliable water filtration service company, you can maintain the efficiency of your filter and prevent breakdowns. Use High Water Standard to perform the routine maintenance that all commercial and residential filtration systems eventually need. We also have the skill and knowledge to repair and maintain filters that were not installed by our company.
At High Water Standard, we make sure that:
- You have new, high-quality filters installed. All the materials and parts that we work with come from the best manufacturers. We never reuse filters because the absorbed contaminants could lead to bacterial growth and compromise the quality of the water.
- The cartridges are compatible with your filtration system. It takes some expertise to match a substitute filter to the model of our filtration system. Even if off-brand filters may save you some money, not every filter model will work with them properly. Especially if you have a customized system, you will need a very specific cartridge replacement.
- You are ready for any circumstance. If the system suddenly breaks down, our service will make any repairs in a timely manner. It won’t be a lengthy process, and you will have clear water again very soon.
- You can monitor the filter’s performance. Our consultations provide you with valuable information that you can later use to monitor its operation. That way, you will quickly realize if something has gone wrong and prevent unknowingly drinking bad quality water.
- You don’t postpone filter replacement. There are many reasons that people neglect doing maintenance work around the house. But when it is so easy to do, you won’t be tempted to postpone the necessary upkeep and repairs.
Improve Your Life with Better Water Quality
Install a water filtration system for the home with High Water Standard. We perform a wide variety of services related to filtration systems, including installation, maintenance, and repair. We operate in the greater New York City area, in all five boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island), as well as in northern New Jersey. Take charge and improve your and your family members’ health, while also helping the environment, and all at an affordable price.